Business Development Associate
PARIS, FRANCE FULL-TIME
Eligo is a six-year-old biotechnology startup, spun out of MIT and Rockefeller University, and based in Paris, France.
Eligo has raised more than 20 million euros from leading investors in Silicon Valley and France to develop next-generation drugs based on the genetic engineering of bacteria and their viruses to tackle unmet medical needs, such as antibiotic resistance and diseases associated with the microbiome.
Eligo has been elected as one of the 30 Most Innovative Companies by the World Economic Forum, has received international awards for pioneering work in the field of synthetic biology, and has been featured in international media and scientific journals such as Nature Biotechnology, The New York Times, the BBC, The Economist, and Science.
Eligo has attracted top talent from all over the world, currently numbering over 35 Eligonauts from more than 10 countries, all driven, passionate, and motivated to impact the world by applying cutting-edge research to save lives.
Eligo is building a platform technology based on phage engineering to produce eligobiotics that can target a wide range of bacterial species. With such a capability, Eligo is poised to lead the new generation of precision microbiome engineering companies.
We are looking for a curious, proactive, and rigorous Business Development Associate to work with our Chief Business Officer on advancing our drug programs towards the clinic and and preparing for company scale-up.
The Business Development Associate will employ a transversal and panoramic view on both corporate finances and business operations to support Eligo on strategic topics. This role encompasses business and financial planning and reporting, business development activities, growth operations, and communication within and outside of Eligo, all while working closely with Eligo’s leadership.
- Act as an instrumental support to Eligo on corporate finance, business development, and operations to help the company scale and its drug programs to move forward.
- Support ongoing and new drug development programs:
- Prepare and update business plans, including competitive landscape analysis
- Prepare relevant financial reporting in line with technical reports generated by R&D project leaders and liaise with external institutions
- Support R&D project leaders in budget planning and monitoring
- Maintain an up-to-date overall company budget and run scenarios for Board reporting and financing activities
- Work closely with and support the Chief Business Officer in partnering, contracting, and alliance management activities:
- Monitor partnering landscape and maintain partnering database
- Act as project manager for contracting activities, including due diligence and negotiations processes
- Ensure proper follow-up on partnerships, including acting as alliance manager.
- Ensure company tools and processes are adapted to evolving company needs, proposing improvements or alternatives as necessary and leading their implementation
- Support or lead a variety of mid- to long-term, cross-organizational projects depending on needs (HQ lab and office move and extension, fundraising, updating financial processes)
Corporate image development (potential additional responsibilities depending on candidate’s profile)
- Provide strategic internal and external communications support
- Update website to build and strengthen corporate image (new team members, latest articles, interviews, talks, and conference participation)
- Conduct Eligonaut profiles/interviews and publish them on Medium
The list is not exhaustive but is there to illustrate the breadth of responsibilities at the current time.
— PROFILE WE ARE LOOKING FOR —
We are seeking a motivated candidate that is positive, empathetic, flexible, and curious, with a breadth of skills and qualities that are crucial for this panoramic and strategic position.
Curious and rigorous
- You can easily manipulate numbers and financial projections while understanding the rationale behind the expenses and the science behind the projects. You are analytical and structured in your thinking. You are particularly good at synthesizing and communicating achievements through precise and detailed written reporting.
Driven to achieve results with a strategic mindset
- You carry a can-do attitude and are incredibly driven to achieve results. You are a great organizer and project planner, you consistently look ahead and anticipate needs before they arise. You have a sharp mind and you have a great judgment for prioritization. You think fast and execute quickly, while always weighing the potential consequences and outcomes of your decisions.
Possessing integrity and a managed ego
- You are fair, helpful, and are constantly looking for ways to offer support. You are confident enough to be candid with people working in all roles across the company, while also humble enough to happily work entirely behind the scenes at times. You thrive on helping others be their best selves and anticipating their needs before they are spoken.
Ability and willingness to learn and grow in a fast-paced environment
- You are willing to learn from Eligo leadership and peers. You are not afraid of a challenge when provided the appropriate support and coaching. You take every opportunity to ask questions and deepen your understanding of the job at hand and also of the big picture. You are ready to discover or dive deeper into the exciting field of biotechnology.
- Engineering or Science degree (M.Eng, M.Sc., PhD or PharmD)
- Additional business/finance academic training OR operational experience in a fast-growing deeptech startup is a strong plus
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) in English
- At ease with using technological tools (software, apps) to advance operational excellence