PARIS, FRANCE FULL-TIME
Eligo is a six-year-old biotechnology startup, spun out of MIT and Rockefeller University, and based in Paris, France.
Eligo has raised more than 20 million euros from leading investors in Silicon Valley and France to develop next-generation drugs based on the genetic engineering of bacteria and their viruses to tackle unmet medical needs, such as antibiotic resistance and diseases associated with the microbiome.
Eligo has been elected as one of the 30 Most Innovative Companies by the World Economic Forum, has received international awards for pioneering work in the field of synthetic biology, and has been featured in international media and scientific journals such as Nature Biotechnology, The New York Times, the BBC, The Economist, and Science.
Eligo has attracted top talent from all over the world, currently numbering over 35 Eligonauts from more than 10 countries, all driven, passionate, and motivated to impact the world by applying cutting-edge research to save lives. If you thrive in fast-paced environments, are excited to solve real-world problems with cutting-edge science, and are looking for an opportunity to develop your skills, THIS is the perfect opportunity!
Eligo is building a platform technology based on phage engineering to produce eligobiotics that target a wide range of bacterial species. With such a capability, Eligo is poised to lead the new generation of precision microbiome engineering companies.
As an intern with the Discovery & Automation team, you will help build, test, and run bioinformatics pipelines and develop tools to assist researchers with data management and visualization.
You will collaborate with Eligo’s bioinformaticians and with scientists and engineers across the company to learn about the problems that they are working to solve and assist them to implement solutions.
Your contributions will have a direct, tangible impact on the cutting-edge products being developed at Eligo as they progress from the benchtop to the clinic!
This is a six-month position with the exact start date depending on the student’s academic cycle; ideally starting as soon as possible.
- Testing and improving bioinformatics pipelines to ensure Eligo’s scientists and engineers can extract and use the information they need. The pipelines may be related but not limited to:
- Protein mining from (meta)genomic data
- DNA sequence optimization
- Generating and visualizing comparative genomics/pangenomics data for different organisms
- Interpreting genetic and epigenetic data
- Building add-ons to Eligo’s LIMS database to ensure biological entities and experiment results are thoroughly and properly documented
- Developing results visualization modules to enable Eligonauts to easily make data-driven decisions to guide their experiments
- Master’s student in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Data Science, or related fields
- Ideally, 4+ years of academic or other experience coding in any language
- Good English speaking & writing skills
- Ability to communicate across disciplines
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Exquisitely organized, strong passion for thorough code documentation
- Experience with data science and visualization
- General tech-savviness and nerdiness 🙂
Tools we use & ♡ : GNU/Linux, Python, Julia, Conda, Git, Plotly/Dash, Pandas, scikit-learn, TensorFlow, PostgreSQL, Docker, Google Cloud, AWS, Benchling …
Bioinformatics tools we use & ♡ : Snakemake, MMseqs2, minimap2, Mash, BioPython, Spades, BLAST, PHASTER, VirSorter2, RAST, HMMER, ETE, DnaChisel, Primer3 …